Game Review

The game I have chosen to prove meets all 4 areas is Grand Theft Auto Online. The game involves players roaming around the city of Los Santos (based on Los Angeles). It was released in October 2013 simply to cause chaos with your friends online and complete missions to earn money and set a life up like you would in single player. Just under 5 years later, you can now rob banks, run your own criminal enterprise, motorcycle club and even own a nightclub.


This was the only trailer I could find. It's for the nightclub update that came out earlier this year, and although it doesn't show the franchise as a whole that well, it does show that this game specifically tries to show players that it's more than running around killing people and stealing cars like it was at the start.


Here is a demonstration of how the game starts. Lamar will welcome you to Los Santos and first, you have to race him around the streets of Los Santos.

There are two things I really enjoy about this game. Firstly, I love that despite being almost 5 years old (the gap between the release dates of GTA 4 and 5), Rockstar are continuing to add new features to get gamers to fall in love with all over again just when they got bored and looked at something else. Another thing I like is the design of the expensive apartments since you can't get them on story mode. 

However, like everything, there are a lot of things that really annoy me. Firstly, missions can be torture when you're on your own. My experience didn't start until July 2015 so I was quite behind and I was on PS3 whereas most of my friends were probably on PS4 and Xbox One (which I upgraded to in December 2016), so I didn't have any friends to play with and when I was doing the heists, I got mad a lot as I'd always get a rubbish player who'd keep getting killed, demand far too much money off me for their cut and then just quit on everyone. As heists need 4 player specifically, I had a lot of problems at the start where no one wanted to join (because no one wants to do set-ups all over again) and when I did get someone, they'd just leave if it was taking too long to get a full house.

Another issue on its own was the other missions not paying enough, but a real pet peeve was when players would just randomly turn on you and keep killing you over and over again. It's annoying when you're just going around minding your own business and next thing you, you've been sniped or a hideous super car with different-coloured panels and the stupidest horn charges at you and flattens you. You lose $500 in your character's bank account every time you die, which is just the worst when you're broke like mine.

Putting that aside, in-game music is really good, particularly the dramatic music in heists that give you that determination to get the job done and make some good money (which 90% usually gets ruined by a rubbish player who keeps getting killed then gives up). I can't show that at the moment because I was on a restricted network, and there are just so many songs on the game's radio stations. As of 2018, there are 441 songs that you can listen to across 16 radio stations.

So does this game have all 4 video game areas?

Theme: The themes are perseverance and competitiveness. The reason it has perseverance is because some characters may be more than willing to help newer players with annoying jobs like heist setups just to help them make some money and buy some new cars. It holds competitiveness because everyone is determined to make millions of dollars, have the most successful of business, most luxurious apartments and the fastest of cars, fully modified to their best.

Genre: The game originally could only be played from a third-person perspective, however, the next-gen releases in November 2014 allowed the player to switch to a first-person perspective if they wished. It's a role-play as it's a complete work of fiction, both on and offline.

Game-Play Mode: You control the character, which makes it an omnipresence. As the name suggests, it's online, which also means it's multiplayer. As you run enterprises, clubs and teams, it can also be seen as a co-operative game.

Perspective: Released in 2013, the graphics are quite realistic. Everything is viewed from a 3D perspective as the details on depth are really good. It was originally third-person on last-gen but next-gen includes a first-person perspective if the player wishes.

So that was Grand Theft Auto Online. The amount I've written shows that there is so much to do and so much about. If you haven't played it already, I think you should, but please, don't do what I did and make sure you've got friends to play it with. Despite originally playing on PS3, I got into it from a mate who was on Xbox 360 at the time. I rate it 6/10.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sound Problems

Psychology of Sound