I have now designed a fully functioning retro game. It's based on Super Mario Bros but with ordinary citizens - your girlfriend has been kidnapped by someone and you have to fight them to rescue them. When you play it, it looks like it was a piece of cake to make, but it wasn't. Here are some of the challenges I faced when making the game. The first challenge I faced was the health bar. Rather than just displaying it as simple text, I wanted to use the circle design with the 4 colours to represent whereabouts your health is that was used in Super Mario 64. Firstly, I had trouble trying to get it to follow the player on the screen and not appear as part of the level. Eventually, I realised that to do this, I had to go to the HUD layer and set the parallax to 0,0, and move the health bar to the margin. This means that regardless of how high or low the main character is on the screen (I thought I had to place it above him for it to work), it will always appear in the top left ...
Comments
Post a Comment